To start the referral process, please click the button labelled "Referral Form".
Download, complete and fax the form to 905-889-4216.
Research at Shouldice Hospital
Shouldice Hospital’s Research Department strives to encourage team-based project identification and development, offers simple project life cycle procedures, and provides opportunities for investigation, innovation, education, and quality improvement. Our goal is to increase knowledge on the uniqueness of hernia patients and repair, improve patient care and the understanding of patient perspectives, as well as continue to grow as a global leader in abdominal wall hernia education and research.
- Spencer Netto FAC, Mainprize M, Yilbas A, Degani C, Svendrovski A, and Szasz P. Surgical aspects and early morbidity of patients undergoing open recurrent inguinal hernia repair. Hernia. 2023. Click here to read.
- Szasz P, Mainprize M, and Spencer Netto FAC. Spigelian hernias: A high volume institutional review. Surgery Open Science. 2023.13:75-81. Click here to read.
- Mainprize M, Spencer Netto FAC, Degani C, and Szasz P. The Shouldice Method: an expert’s consensus. Hernia. 2023. 27;147-156. Click here to read.
- Spencer Netto FAC, Mainprize M, Galant G, and Szasz P. The incidence of occult paraumbilical hernias in patients undergoing primary umbilical hernia repair. Hernia. 2021. 25;619–623. Click here to read.
- Szasz P, Spencer Netto F, and Shouldice Hospital. Shouldice Hospital comments on “Shouldice standard 2020: review of current literature and results of an international consensus meeting”. Hernia. 2021. 25;1375–1376. Click here to read.
- We have an extensive selection of older articles ranging from 1925-2019 on the Shouldice Hospital and Shouldice Method.
- 2022 Canadian Surgery Forum: Incidence of in-hospital opioid use and pain after inguinal hernia repair
- 2022 American Hernia Society Annual Meeting: The Shouldice Method: an expert’s consensus
- 2022 European Hernia Society Annual Meeting: Surgical aspects and early morbidity of patients undergoing open recurrent inguinal hernia repair
- 2023 European Hernia Society Annual Meeting: Temporal pattern for inguinal hernia recurrence reoperation after primary Shouldice repair
Ongoing Project Topics
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Patient Reported Outcome Measures
- Quality of Life
- Sex Differences
- Recurrent Inguinal Hernia
- Interstitial Hernia
- Opioid Use
If you are interested in any of our publications, ongoing projects, or research opportunities please contact our research department manager at email@example.com or 905-889-1125 ext. 297.